Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Risk it not, ask!

It is hard to miss. Even when one hastens here and there, pacing furiously to keep up with the sprinting time, mind occupied with a hundred and one thoughts about the thousand and one deadlines, it is hard to miss. Those red bold letters. Spelling out fervor and glory from the days of yore.

Amidst the colourful booths at the bustling bazaars that occur every so often these days on campus, those red letters caught the eyes of a commander of the past. The feet remained quick, but the eyes had been drawn. The mind registered those sightly letters.

RISK.

RISK. Never have I seen stacks of boardgames so simply arranged on the floor of the Central Forum. But two or three weeks ago I have walked past them again and again. This is the perfect time to get a set. But how much will it cost? Not cheap I presume. Must be about $40. Not something I, an unemployed (or poorly self employed) undergrad with five figure loans can afford.

Saw them again today. At the corner of LT27 forum, one upon another, a tower of cavalry and brave men calling, luring. Well, I might, might, consider getting a set if it is $20. $20. What am I, hoping against hope? No RISK - or any other board games of the sort - sells for $20. That would be half of the shelf price.

Why don't you just ask. No harm asking, right?
So I went to the aunty at the stall. How much is this, aunty?

"Fifteen."

Fifteen? Did she say fifteen? Or is it fifty?

"Fifteen?"

"Ya, and this one is eighteen."

"Owh... this is fifTEEN and Star Wars is eighTEEN?"

"Yes."

OK, I don't know what the usual price of boardgames is in this country, but I know some explosion akin to the shots of cannon has gone off in my chest. Didn't buy it. Still dazed (or shocked). Waiting for reality to set in before I pack some cash and revisit the sweet old aunty on Friday.

Sidenote: Just last night Terrible messaged me and said that Conquerer has been found.

4 comments :

Anonymous said...

OMG DID YOU GET IT DID YOU GET IT???!?!?!?!? HAHAH that's a bargain man!! and are Terrible and Conqueror who I think they are? And if they are, where has the Conqueror been?? hehehe... miss being BBC anchor lol and i miss you and those Risky Days..haih..

mwahhhhhh
Ferocious =D

Anonymous said...

Or am I Fearless?
:p

juliana said...

Haha Fearless my dear, the last time I called you Ferocious you said it made you sound like a lioness.

This Conqueror said nothing much has happened =/ She's an aunt now, but it's not news enough esp after 3 years of absence! I tell you we should corner her to Australia (or South America) one day and beat the dice out of her.

Anonymous said...

HAHAH okay Fearless sounds better than Ferocious hehe.. and yeah the lion comment sounds like sth I would say but GOOD ON YA for buying RISK -- tracking her down sounds like a mission I'd be up for :)

take care hun